Precautions to take while doing baby photography
Newborn photography is already daunting for photographers around the world due to the finicky nature of infants. You never know what their mood might be or how they would keep up during the hours of a photoshoot. Even though newborn photography is majorly safe as it emphasizes poses that are natural for babies, photographers should take measures and precautions to ensure that the baby is secure and safe during the photoshoot.
In this blog, we will talk about some of the precautions you can take care of while having a baby photoshoot.
Precautions to take while doing a baby photography
1. Sanitize yourself- Very important. Always wash your hands before touching a newborn, even more so because of the pandemic. Nowadays photographers should always wear gloves, masks and use proper hand sanitizers to avoid any sort of direct contact with the baby.
2. Hold the baby's neck gently - Most of you would know this but here's a little reminder. A newborn baby's neck isn't fully developed till he or she is 6 months old. Therefore while making the changes in location or poses hold the baby gently to avoid strain in the neck. Poses should be made which are not put too much stress on the baby's cartilage. Unnatural poses can bring damage to the child's back.
3. Calm the baby - If the baby is not comfortable or calm then there is no point in having a photoshoot. Soothe the baby and then shoot. The baby has to be emotionally happy to be able to make different poses and get good shots. Allow some break time in between for the mother and child to get comfortable and unswaddle the child if he needs to make adjustments. Only when the child is content should you move further.
4. Posing - Poses should not threaten the child in any manner. Being a baby photographer you should be able to differentiate between the poses that may look good on camera but may not be good for the baby or poses which may look simple but are way more secure in terms of safety.
Don't ask parents to do something they don't want. Don't force anything on the child or the mother which they are uncomfortable with.
5. Siblings time- Siblings love to play with their young brothers and sisters. But you can't be more careful with them. Toddlers can be erratic and spontaneous. You might never know their next step. Therefore always have an extra hand if there is a toddler around.
6. Pets - Pets are the family's first child. Most of the family bring their dogs or other pets to the photoshoot. But you have to be more careful when there is a pet and a newborn together in a frame.
7. Temperature - You should check the temperature of the room you are about to have the photoshoot in. If you feel the room is too breezy, you can close the windows off. If there is too much heat you can avoid the swaddle and ask for light clothes.
8. Cleanliness - This goes without saying that all the props and clothes that are being used for the baby should be cleaned properly before using them. Since the danger of infections is more these days, all the things including the space should be disinfected with a sanitizer beforehand.
About Madhu photography
Photography has always fascinated Madhu since her early years. She found joy in capturing moments, things, people, and nature and decided to make this into a profession. She has learned professional photography from Drishti school of Photography Bangalore. After then, she started getting invested in clicking pictures of children and making memorabilia of the different magical phases of their growth.
She also has a lot of affinity towards capturing nature in different styles and forms. Professionally, she has worked under the banner Strawberry pictures and has clicked photos of infants, kids, and family portraits for a decade. Today she has started a venture of her own and is one of the best photographers we have in Bangalore.